Friday, July 29, 2011

And they are off to the cabin!

In Rob's family, the cabin is a big deal. I love it, and fortunately, I've had many opportunities to spend time there. The most memorable time was when we spent the month of July there when Amelia was only 7 months old. It is lovely, and it is the perfect place to be in the summer with young children.

If I had planned this pregnancy better, I would have had this baby in May or June allowing me to spend the summer at the cabin during my maternity leave. Unfortunately, the timing of pregnancies doesn't always work out just perfectly. I am due at the end of September. I certainly could pack up Amelia and baby and head to the cabin when baby is ready to travel, maybe in November, but that will be during the school year while Rob is teaching. Furthermore, northern Minnesota in November doesn't really appeal to me. I might as well be here in VT with Rob! So, maybe if I ever get pregnant again, which really may not happen, I may have better timing!

Right now, Rob and Amelia are in the air en route to Minnesota for their second trip to the cabin this summer. Unfortunately, I am not able to join them this time. I did spend a lovely week there in the beginning of July, so I haven't missed out completely. Honestly, the next month or so is going to be so busy for me, that it will be nice to have two weeks to get a lot done while they are gone. When they return we have a few fun trips ahead for pathology meetings, New York City in August and Texas in September, and then baby will come and the chaos will really begin!

This afternoon, I arranged to leave work a little early so I could get home and spend some time with Amelia before their take-off. I left the hospital at 4pm, and let me tell you, it was sure busy that time of day. It seemed that EVERYONE leaves the hospital at that time! Then, when I got on the highway to head home, it was completely backed up. My normal 15 minute commute turned into 45 minutes! Finally, near the exit I take to get to our house, I saw a car off to the side that must have been on fire shortly before I passed it. It was completely black and all the windows had shattered. There weren't any people there anymore, but the police were. During the long wait on the highway, I saw THREE ambulances go by on their way to the hospital. Overall, it looked like a bad situation.

When I finally arrived home, Amelia ran to me and gave me the best greeting she has ever given! As soon as I opened the door, I heard her little feet running through the house and she yelled, "Mommy! Mommy!" I grabbed her and hugged her and pulled her up onto my hip. She then proceeded to say, "Mommy, were you work-ing? Did you he-lp people?" I said, "yes". Then she said, "I went to basketball daycare, and then I went swimming. Now I am going on an airplane." It was so wonderful to hear all the things she wanted to tell me about her day. This is the most information I have heard her say at once. I was very impressed.

So, now, they are on a plane heading toward Detroit. I worry about their tight connection there, but I know they'll be fine regardless of what happens. Rob's good friend Sam is having a wedding reception in Rochester tomorrow afternoon, and I do hope they make it in time to attend. Then, they'll be heading to the lake to visit the MacGregors (Rob's mother's side of their family). I am sad I won't be able to be with the MacGregors this week, because I love them so much. They are such a wonderful family, and they've been so kind to me over the years (even allowing me to live with them for two months while doing rotations at the University hospital in Minneapolis)! Even though I will enjoy the peace and quiet, not to mention the tidiness of our home when the two of them are gone, I am sad to be missing out on time at the cabin with the MacGregors.

At the end of their visit, Rob and Amelia will spend a few days in Gibbon visiting my parents. Amelia has two sets of wonderful grandparents, and I am happy that she'll get to see both of them during this visit.

I am looking forward to their return and the upcoming trip to NYC when they get back!

No comments: